College Park developed between 1891 and 1946 and is one of the few documented examples of a Georgia town planned around academic institutions. Its distinctly planned commercial and residential zones are separated, yet linked, by the central transportation corridor.
The College Park Historic District contains excellent intact examples of late 19th century and early to mid-20th century residential and commercial architecture. Represented are small one-story cottages, large Victorian-era mansions, and houses built in the Craftsman, English Tudor, Dutch Colonial, Spanish Colonial Revival, Federal Revival, Colonial Revival, and Queen Anne styles, or which exemplify the High Victorian Eclectic type of house. Each historic feature is a singular, yet integral part of the larger plan. The historic district provides an eclectic setting in which the architecture and landscape complement each other while continuing to maintain the planning principles and concepts developed by the “founding Fathers” who sought to establish a town with an academic atmosphere. Significant to the district is the community stability as evidenced by many descendants of original owners occupying family homes and other descendants residing in the district. A large portion of the current community is involved in academia, the arts, and the professions.
From the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, College Park Historic District, College Park, Fulton County, Georgia, National Register #96001338.